5 Steps to Keeping Your Teeth Healthy Longer
At Moore Smiles, we’re happy to be your family dentist in Louisville and the surrounding area. We love taking care of your teeth. However, there are some things YOU can do to protect your teeth and make sure your mouth stays healthy for years. Here are a few tips you may not have thought about.
- Angle your brush. Did you know that the sulcus technique, where you angle your toothbrush towards the gum line, can help you get your teeth cleaner every time you brush. Next time you’re in our office, ask one of our friendly hygienists to show you the proper angle for most effective brushing.
- Brush your tongue. Or use a tongue scraper (they’re available at most drug stores and larger supermarkets). Cleaning your tongue helps to keep your whole mouth cleaner.
- Floss at least daily. We know it can be kind of a pain, but it really makes a difference when you can clean between your teeth. The newer floss picks are inexpensive, convenient and much less messy than the old spool style floss.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash. Our family dentistry patients are often surprised to find that the not all mouthwashes are antiseptic, and therefore aren’t doing as good a job as they could at keeping their mouth healthy. Be sure to check the label.
- Think about your diet. Obviously, consuming less sugar is a great way to keep your teeth healthier longer. But also be aware that some otherwise healthy foods that are high in acid can be hard on your teeth. Consider brushing as soon as you can after consuming many juices, or acidic salad dressing.
Also, it’s really important to make sure you come visit your family dentist office here at Moore Smiles regularly for a thorough checkup and cleaning. We all live busy lives and it’s easy to forget or to put off your appointment, but remember–you only get one set of teeth. Make them last!